No. 13 Gamecocks Shutout LSU in Front of Sold Out Home Crowd
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Freshman forward/midfielder Reagan Schubach connected on her sixth goal of the season in the 55th minute as the No. 13 South Carolina women’s soccer team (9-1-3, 3-0-2) defeated LSU (7-5-1, 2-3-0) 1-0 Thursday night in front of a sold-out Stone Stadium. The crowd of over 5,700 was the fourth-highest attended game in program history.
South Carolina outshot LSU 9 (3) to 1 (0) in the first half but neither team was able to find the back of the net. Carolina had several good looks from sophomore Shae O’Rourke in the 12th, junior Lily Render in the 30th and Schubach in the 41st minute, but LSU keeper Mollee Swift kept Carolina off the board. The Gamecocks edged a 2-0 advantage in corners in the first half and maintained continuous pressure in the attacking zone.
Carolina continued their offensive attack throughout the second half, breaking through in the 55th minute when Schubach managed to free herself from a defender and drove the ball into the upper left corner of the net putting the Gamecocks up 1-0. South Carolina continuously pressured the offensive zone in the final 45 creating five more shots, three of them on goal.
The Carolina defense remained stout in the second half getting key contributions from the back line of fifth-year Cam Dixon, senior Hallie Meadows, and sophomore Gracie Falla. The trio had several key takeaways down the stretch that kept the Tigers from creating any offensive chance inside the box. Carolina finished the game outshooting LSU 14 (5) to 6 (1). Fifth year keeper Heather Hinz made her lone save of the night in the 88th minute keeping LSU off the scoreboard.
- Freshman Reagan Schubach notched her sixth goal of the season. It marks her first career SEC game winning goal, and she has now scored in two consecutive games dating back to last Friday’s matchup at Auburn.
- Heather Hinz recorded her 27th career shutout. She remains fourth all-time in the Gamecock record books for career shutouts.
- With the victory, Carolina snaps a three-game skid against LSU dating back to October 2018.
- 18 Gamecocks saw the field tonight. Hallie Meadows, Gracie Falla and Heather Hinz led the team logging 90 minutes of action.
- South Carolina played in front of a sold-out Stone Stadium crowd of 5,780 fans. The match was the team’s breast cancer awareness game honoring two survivors, one pregame and one at halftime.
The Gamecocks hit the road this weekend for a matchup with the Missouri Tigers (5-5-2, 1-4-0). Kickoff is set for 4:00 p.m. ET on SECNetwork+. Fans are encouraged to keep up with in-game updates on Twitter and Instagram, @GamecockWSoccer.