Aug. 22, 2002
Columbia, SC –
* USC head football coach Lou Holtz sang the praises Thursday of seniors Corey Jenkins and Ryan Brewer, for their leadership and outstanding performance thus far during preseason practice. “I could not be more pleased with Ryan Brewer and Corey Jenkins,” said Coach Holtz. “They have been tremendous competitors during preseason camp.”
* Coach Holtz said that senior running back Andrew Pinnock, who has been nursing a sore shoulder the past couple of days, is not expected to scrimmage Friday evening. “Andrew has a bruised shoulder and hasn’t been able to go,” said Coach Holtz. “He’s not in real good condition and right now, he very well could not be ready for the opener.”
* Coach Holtz said that freshman Daccus Turman has come on the past two days at fullback. “Daccus has looked like a solid player the past couple of practices. He has been impressive.”
* The starting offensive line has begun to take shape. Travelle Wharton (left tackle), Cedric Williams (left guard), C.J. Frye (center), Shane Hall (right guard), and Watts Sanderson (right tackle) are the probable starters. Jeff Barnes, who had been battling Sanderson for a starting berth, has been moved back to guard and will play the swing role, having the versatility to play both positions. He should be the first offensive lineman in the rotation. “Jeff Barnes is a very unselfish player,” said Coach Holtz. “He’s one of our best offensive linemen and can play several positions. That’s what makes him so valuable.”
* Coach Holtz says he feels good about his team’s defense. “It’s fun to watch (spurs) Jonathan Martin and Rashad Faison play,” said Holtz. “Langston Moore and Dennis Quinn have been excellent, as have the linebackers. We will play a lot of people on defense.”
* Friday’s scrimmage, which is closed to the public, will be like a dress rehearsal for the Gamecocks. The team will do everything from pregame meetings, pregame meal, warmups, substitutions, as well as go over virtually every situation imaginable in a game. “We’ll try to cover everything,” said Coach Holtz. “We’ll treat it like a game for a half and then cover situations.”
* Coach Holtz said that during a game, the coaching staff would be broken down like this: on the field coaches would include Skip Holtz and Paul Lounsberry on offense, and Charlie Strong and Chris Cosh on defense. Working out of the press box would be Todd Fitch, Joker Phillips and Dave DeGuglielmo on offense and Dave Roberts and John Gutekunst on defense.
* Coach Holtz will have outpatient surgery this Sunday to have the inflamed bursa removed from his right elbow. The surgery is expected to take slightly less than one hour.
* Injury update: defensive back Isaac Stackhouse is improving but is still out with a deep back bruise, tailback Kenny Irons is out with a bruised knee, offensive lineman Chris White is out with a neck injury, offensive lineman Stephen Sene is out with a low back injury, offensive lineman Chad Walker is out with a foot sprain, running back Andrew Pinnock is out with a shoulder bruise.
MEDIA AVAILABILITY FOR FRIDAY, Aug. 23:
* head coach Lou Holtz will be available after the scrimmage at approximately 7 p.m. in the press room behind the lobby of the football building.