Nov. 29, 2004
Columbia, S.C. – The Southeastern Conference announced today that six South Carolina football players have been suspended for the first game of the 2005 football season, as a result of the fighting incident that occurred at the South Carolina-Clemson football game on November 20.
Following a thorough review of available video footage, the SEC has issued suspensions to Daccus Turman, Jermaine Sims, Freddy Saint-Preux, Woodly Telfort, Moe Thompson and Charles Silas. Seniors Taqiy Muhammad, Matthew Thomas and Jamacia Jackson, would have been suspended, if they had eligibility remaining, bringing the total to nine.
Last week, South Carolina withdrew from post-season bowl consideration as a result of the fight. “I want to recognize the major step taken by the University of South Carolina in withdrawing from bowl consideration this year,” said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive.
“The actions of these suspended student-athletes violate the letter and spirit of the SEC and NCAA rules and regulations of sportsmanlike conduct,” said Commissioner Slive. “These suspensions are intended to send a clear and unequivocal message to all student-athletes in the Southeastern Conference that this conduct will not be tolerated now or in the future and those committing unsportsmanlike acts will be held accountable for their actions.”
Statement from USC junior defensive end Moe Thompson: “I’d like to apologize to the University, to my teammates, coaches and to our fans for my involvement in the incident at Clemson. There is no place for something like that in college athletics. It was an embarrassment to the school, to our athletics program and to our families. I feel bad about what happened.”