Feb. 16, 2005
Columbia, S.C. – The University of South Carolina women’s tennis team improved to 4-0 on the season with a 7-0 win over the College of Charleston Cougars on Wednesday at the Maxcy Gregg Tennis facility. The Cougars dropped to 1-2 with the loss.
The Gamecocks took an early 1-0 advantage by taking the doubles point. Danielle Wiggins and Laura Ganzer took the first completed doubles match on the day with an 8-3 win against Charleston’s Rachel Magory and Maxine Capewell. USC would then clinch the point when Christyn Lucas and Magda Wojdylo also took an 8-3 victory at the number two doubles flight. Miranda Gutierrez and Fallon Koon finished the Gamecock sweep in doubles when they defeated Priscilla Roberts and Jenna Marks 8-5 at No. 3 doubles.
USC extended their lead to 2-0 when Magda Wojdylo defeated Chelsea Albertz 6-0,6-2 at No. 4 singles. Laura Ganzer put Carolina up 3-0 with a 6-3,6-0 victory over Gabriela Moreira at flight two. Justine Walsh clinched the match for USC when she defeated Priscilla Roberts 6-1,6-4 at six. Fallon Koon extended the USC lead to 5-0 after defeating Lauren Stewart 6-2,7-5 at five. Miranda Gutierrez took number three singles 6-3,7-5 over Maxine Capewell to give USC a 6-0 advantage. Christyn Lucas finished the 7-0 sweep with a 6-4,6-4 victory against Rachel Magory at the top singles spot.
Carolina will return to action next Wednesday, when they host the Winthrop Eagles at 2:00 p.m.
Final Score: South Carolina (4-0) 7
Charleston (1-2) 0
1. Christyn Lucas/Magda Wojdylo (SC) d. Gabriela Moreira/Lauren Stewart (CofC) 8-3
2. Danielle Wiggins/Laura Ganzer (SC) d. Rachel Magory/Maxine Capewell (CofC) 8-3
3. Miranda Gutierrez/Fallon Koon (SC) d. Priscilla Roberts/Jenna Marks (CofC) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. Christyn Lucas (SC) d. Rachel Magory (CofC) 6-4,6-4
2. Laura Ganzer (SC) d. Gabriela Moreira (CofC) 6-3,6-0
3. Miranda Gutierrez (SC) d. Maxine Capewell (CofC) 6-3,7-5
4. Magda Wojdylo (SC) d. Chelsea Albertz (CofC) 6-0,6-2
5. Fallon Koon (SC) d. Lauren Stewart (CofC) 6-2,7-5
6. Justine Walsh (SC) d. Priscilla Roberts (CofC) 6-1,6-4
Order of Finish: 4,2,6,5,3,1