March 8, 2005
Columbia, S.C. – The University of South Carolina women’s tennis team dropped their second match in a row with a 4-1 loss to No. 24 BYU on Tuesday at the USC Indoor Tennis Facility. The loss dropped the Gamecocks to 6-2 while the Cougars improved to 8-2 on the season.
The Cougars jumped out front early by taking two of the three double matches. Olga Boulytcheva and Sofia Holden took No. 3 doubles 8-5 against Carolina’s Miranda Gutierrez and Fallon Koon. Christyn Lucas and Magda Wojdylo upset the 44th ranked Dolly Chang and Lauren Jones 8-4 at the top doubles spot. BYU got the doubles point when Anastasia Sorkova and Jennifer Miccoli won at position two over Danielle Wiggins and Laura Ganzer, 8-6.
BYU extended their lead to 2-0 when Lauren Jones took the second and third set against Danielle Wiggins 6-4,6-3. Sofia Holden got BYU’s third point with a three set victory against Magda Wojdylo at four and then Anastasia Sourkova clinched the match for the Cougars with a three set victory against Laura Ganzer at three. Christyn Lucas won USC’s only point with a three-set victory against Olga Boulytcheva. Lucas dropped the first set 6-4 before taking the final two sets 6-2,6-3.
The Gamecocks will return to action on Friday when they host Kentucky at 2 p.m and then will travel to Nashville to face Vanderbilt.
South Carolina (6-2) 1
#24 BYU (8-2) 4
1. Lucas/Wojdylo (SC) d. #56 Chang/Jones (BYU) 8-4
2. Sorkova/Miccoli (BYU) d. Ganzer/Wiggins (SC) 8-6
3. Boulytcheva/Holden (BYU) d. Gutierrez/Koon (SC) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Lauren Jones (BYU) d. Danielle Wiggins (SC) 1-6,6-4,6-3
2. Christyn Lucas (SC) d. Olga Boulytcheva (BYU) 4-6,6-2,6-3
3. Anastasia Sorkova (BYU) d. Laura Ganzer (SC) 6-4,3-6,6-4
4. Sofia Holden (BYU) d. Magda Wojdylo (SC) 4-6,6-2,6-3
5. Miranda Gutierrez (SC) vs. Jennifer Miccoli (BYU)susp.
6. Fallon Koon (SC) vs. Dolly Chang (BYU) susp.
Order of Finish: 1,4,3,2