March 16, 2005
Clemson, S.C. – The University of South Carolina women’s tennis team dropped to 7-4 on the season after falling to #19 Clemson, 5-2 on Wednesday. The Gamecocks were coming off a 5-2 win against #5 Vanderbilt on Sunday before falling to the Tigers in Clemson. The Tiger win cut the USC overall series lead to 21-19.
The Tigers took an early 1-0 lead as they took two of the three doubles matches. The Gamecocks fought hard at two and three but came up short. Christyn Lucas and Miranda Gutierrez fell at No. 2 doubles 9-7 while Laura Ganzer and Fallon Koon dropped their doubles contest at three, 8-6.
In singles, the Gamecocks managed to pick up only two of the six single contests. Sophomore Laura Ganzer took No. 3 singles with a 6-2,6-0 win over Carol Salge while Magda Wojdylo took flight five against Alix Lacelarie. Wojdylo took the first set 7-6 and then Lacelarie retired to give Wojdylo the victory.
The Gamecocks will take a break from their tough schedule as they will not have a match until March 25th against Alabama in Columbia. The Gamecocks will enter the Alabama match with a 2-2 record in conference play. USC has seven conference matches remaining and all seven teams in the SEC that USC has are all ranked in the ITA tennis rankings.
#19 Clemson 5, #24 South Carolina 2 Doubles
1. #40 Coin/Farah (CU) def. Wiggins/Wojdylo (USC) 8-1
2. Brito/LeSaldo (CU) def. Lucas/Gutierrez (USC) 9-7
3. Paun/Salge (CU) def. Ganzer/Koon (USC) 8-6
1. #2 Julie Coin (CU) def. Danielle Wiggins (USC) 6-0, 6-0
2. #87 Romy Farah (CU) def. Christyn Lucas (USC) 6-4, 6-4
3. Laura Ganzer (USC) def. Carol Salge (CU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Daniela Alvarez (CU) def. Miranda Gutierrez (USC) 1-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Magda Wojdylo (USC) def. Alix Lacelarie (CU) 7-6, ret.
6. Maria Brito (CU) def. Fallon Koon (USC) 6-1, 6-1