June 6, 2011
COLUMBIA REGIONAL ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
- C – Robert Beary, South Carolina
- 1B – Christian Walker, South Carolina
- 2B – Scott Wingo, South Carolina
- 3B – Adrian Morales, South Carolina
- SS – Mark Jones, Stetson
- OF – Brett Williams, NC State
- OF – Mitchel Brennan, Stetson
- OF – Evan Marzilli, South Carolina
- DH – Harold Riggins, NC State
- P – Michael Roth, South Carolina
- P – Cory Mazzoni, NC State
Columbia Regional MVP – Robert Beary, South Carolina
- The game was delayed a total of 16 hours, 39 minutes because of a severe thunderstorm that came through the Columbia area around 8:30 p.m. Sunday, knocking out power to Carolina Stadium.
- Total attendance for 2011 Columbia Regional: 30,575.
SOUTH CAROLINA NOTES
- South Carolina improves to 48-14 on the season and advances to the NCAA Super Regional for the second-straight season.
- Carolina will host the winner of tonight’s Clemson-Connecticut game in this weekend’s Super Regional.
- The Gamecocks have now won 17-consecutive postseason games at home, including a perfect 6-0 all-time mark at Carolina Stadium. For the season, the Gamecocks are 34-4 at Carolina Stadium.
- Overall, Carolina has won nine-consecutive NCAA Tournament games (3-0 at this week’s regional, and six in a row at the 2010 College World Series).
- The Gamecocks improve to 14-2 all-time against Stetson.
- In six of the nine innings, South Carolina got their leadoff runner on base. Five of those six scored, including 2B Scott Wingo twice. Those runs accounted for five of Carolina’s eight runs in the game.
- C/DH Robert Beary was named the Columbia Regional Most Valuable Player. It is the second-straight year for a Gamecock to be regional MVP; Adrian Morales was the MVP of last year’s Columbia Regional.
- Beary hit for the cycle in the Columbia Regional. He went 2-for-5 with a single and a triple in today’s game, and had a single, a double and a grand slam in the weekend’s two previous games. For the weekend, Beary was 5-for-11 (.454) with 5 RBI and 2 runs scored. His slugging percentage for the three games was 1.000.
- Scott Wingo and Christian Walker both went 3-for-4 in today’s game and combined to score three runs.
- Evan Marzilli’s leadoff home run was his third homer of the season and first since April 22 at Mississippi State.
- Wingo, Walker, Beary, Adrian Morales, Evan Marzilli and Michael Roth were named to the Columbia Regional All-Tournament Team.
- Stetson’s season ends at 43-20 for the year. The Hatters went 2-2 in the Columbia Regional.
- This was Stetson’s first appearance in a regional championship since 2003. That year, the Hatters also faced South Carolina in Columbia, falling in that contest 9-3 at Sarge Frye Field.
- The Hatters did not win this season when scoring two runs or less (0-9).
- Stetson went 1-11 this season when allowing an opponent to score eight or more runs.
- SS Mark Jones and OF Mitchel Brennan were named to the Columbia Regional All-Tournament Team.
- Brennan finished the regional 4-for-10 with 5 RBI and 2 runs scored. He was 1-for-2 today.
- RHP Jake Boyd had three strikeouts in today’s game in 3.1 innings of relief. In three appearances in the Columbia Regional, he finished with 10 strikeouts, which ranks second among all pitchers in the Columbia Regional (NC State’s Cory Mazzoni had 12 in his start vs. Georgia Southern in Game 3).