Gamecocks Scrimmage Saturday
Head Coach Addresses Media Following Scrimmage
COLUMBIA, S.C. — The University of South Carolina football team scrimmaged on the practice fields Saturday afternoon. Williams-Brice Stadium was not available due to the set-up for the Beyonce/Jay-Z concert, which is scheduled for Tuesday night.
Here are some highlights from head coach Will Muschamp following the workout:
- The scrimmage saw about 170 offensive snaps. Coach Muschamp liked the energy and thought there were more competitive plays, although there were too many self-inflicted issues, like procedure and silly penalties.
- Freshman offensive lineman Wyatt Campbell had his knee scoped recently and is expected to miss about a month. Freshman running back Lavonte Valentine also recently had his knee scoped to clean up some scar tissue and will also be out a few weeks.
- Center Chandler Farrell has been placed on scholarship. The redshirt sophomore from Summerville, S.C. has been repping with the second team. His father, Kenny, played football at South Carolina, lettering three times from 1990-92.
- While competition continues for the starting placekicking duties, if the season started today, Coach Muschamp confirmed that incumbent Parker White would get the nod over graduate transfer Shane Hynes and Alexander Woznick.
- Coach Muschamp also noted that junior receiver Bryan Edwards has moved to the front of the pack among those competing for the starting punt returner duties.
- The team will not practice on Sunday, but has important practices scheduled for Monday and Tuesday afternoons, the final practices of the preseason camp. The team will not practice on Wednesday or Thursday, before beginning work on Coastal Carolina. Thursday is the first day of classes for the student-athletes.