Softball Hits the Road for SEC Series at Mississippi State
STARKVILLE, Miss. – The South Carolina softball team hits the road for the first time in SEC play when the Gamecocks travel to Mississippi State for a three-game series beginning March 17.
Series History: South Carolina leads 33-32
Last Meeting: Mississippi State 7, South Carolina 1 | May 2, 2021 | Columbia, S.C.
South Carolina Gamecocks 23-4, 1-2 SEC
Coach: Beverly Smith | 13th Season
AVG Leader: .435 | Brooke Blankenship
RBI Leader: 26 | Riley Blampied
Home Run Leader: 6 | Jordan Fabian
ERA Leader: 1.61 | Donnie Gobourne
Strikeout Leader: 69 | Donnie Gobourne
Wins Leader: 6 | Jori Heard
Mississippi State Bulldogs 19-8, 0-0 SEC
Coach: Samantha Ricketts | 4th Season
AVG Leader: .380 | Macy Graf
RBI Leader: 25 | Chloe Malau’ulu
Home Run Leader: 6 | Chloe Malau’ulu
ERA Leader: 1.57 | Josey Marron
Strikeout Leader: 71 | Josey Marron
Wins Leader: 7 | Josey Marron
- The 2023 season will be the 50th season of Carolina Softball.
- The Gamecocks are 25th in the most recent RPI.
- Carolina is off to its best start since 2018.
- Head coach Bev Smith earned her 400th career win last Thursday against UNC.
- She became the 29th active head coach in Division I to amass 400 career victories while only coaching at one school.
- The Gamecock offense ranks 12th in the country in scoring per game (6.96 runs).
- As a team, Carolina leads the SEC in doubles (44) and are eighth in the nation.
- They also lead the SEC in stolen bases per game (2.50) and fielding percentage (.982)
- In the nation, they are 22nd in doubles per game (1.69) and 11th in walks (98), 10th in on-base% (.428), 16th in winning percentage, 13th in stolen bases per game, sixth in fielding and 21st in slugging (.537), and 25th in K’s-BB (3.52).
- Donnie Gobourne leads the nation in strikeouts per 7 innings (13.9). She also ranks 53rd in total strikeouts with 69.
- Her four saves rank fourth in the nation and first in the SEC.
- She also ranks 96th in ERA (1.62) and 97th in hits per 7 (4.85)
- Jen Cummings leads the nation in total HBP (13) and is second in per game (0.50).
- She ranks among the NCAA leaders in four different categories.
- She is ninth in the nation in on-base% (.588).
- She ranks 83rd in walks per game (0.65) and 120th in slugging % (.691)
- Marissa Gonzalez rank 23rd in the nation in total doubles (8).
- Gonzalez ranks 92nd in the nation in doubles per game (0.32).
- Karsen Ochs ranks 30th in the nation in strikeout-to-walk ratio (7.75) and 34th in walks per 7 innings (0.79)
- Against Mercer (Feb. 24), the Gamecocks hit back-to-back-to-back home runs for the first time under Bev Smith.
- Against Tennessee Tech (Feb. 25), the Gamecocks hit four home runs, which were the most since 2020.
- The 21 runs scored against TTU were the most since 2016.
- Haley Simpson hit a home run against WKU (Feb. 19), her first home run in nearly three years (1,086 days) after missing the last two seasons due to injury.
- The Gamecocks played five consecutive days (Feb. 15-19) for only the second time in program history. They played six straight days in 1987 (March 10-15; 14 games).
- The roster features 25 total players, with of seven different states represented.
- The Gamecocks have three players listed among the current active NCAA leaders in hit by pitches entering the week.
- Natalie Morgan ranks 15th in DI and 31st overall with 34.
- Jordan Fabian ranks 18th in DI and 36th among all Divisions with 33.
- Jen Cummings ranks 24th in DI I with 29.
JUST WALK ON BY…
- Jordan Fabian ranks 36th among active career leaders in Division I for walks with 79.
For the latest on South Carolina Softball, visit GamecocksOnline.com or follow the team’s social media accounts on Twitter @GamecockSoftbll, Facebook /GamecockSoftball, and Instagram @GamecockSoftball.