- position Analyst
- position Analyst
Greg Adkins begins his second season with the Carolina Football program. Adkins was named the Gamecocks’ offensive line coach on Jan. 22, 2021.
In his first season in Columbia, Adkins mentored Tyshawn Wannamaker, who earned Freshman All-SEC honors.
Adkins came to Carolina after having spent the past three seasons as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall University, working under head coach Doc Holliday. Marshall posted a 24-12 record from 2018-20 in what was his second tour of duty with the Thundering Herd.
In 2020, the Thundering Herd surrendered 12 sacks in 10 games, ranking 13th in the country, while allowing just 3.5 tackles for loss per game, the nation’s fourth-best mark. Right guard Cain Madden earned second team All-America honors from both the Associated Press and Walter Camp. Madden and fellow offensive lineman Josh Ball were named first-team All-Conference USA, while Alex Mollette was a second-team selection.
Under Adkins’ tutelage, offensive linemen Levi Brown was a first-team All-Conference USA center in both 2018 and 2019, while Madden earned second team honors in 2019.
Adkins began his coaching career at his alma mater, mentoring the defensive line, tight ends and offensive line at Marshall for five seasons from 1991-95. He was on the staff that won the 1992 Division I-AA national championship and appeared in three other I-AA national title games (1991, ’93 and ’95).
Between his two tours of duty at Marshall, Adkins coached the offensive line at six schools, including four Power-5 schools, two of which are in the SEC. His resume includes stints at Georgia (1996-2000), Troy (2001-02), Tennessee (2003-08), Syracuse (2009-12), Oklahoma State (2015-17) and Charlotte (2018). He also handled recruiting duties at Syracuse, Tennessee and Troy; coached tight ends and defensive line at Georgia; mentored the tight ends at Tennessee; and served as Charlotte’s run game coordinator and interim offensive coordinator.
Adkins also has NFL experience, having a two-year stint in Buffalo as the Bills’ tight ends coach from 2013-14.
Born March 25, 1968, Adkins is a native of Cross Lanes, West Virginia. He played four seasons as an offensive lineman at Marshall, graduating in 1990.
THE GREG ADKINS FILE
• Hometown: Cross Lanes, W. Va.
• High School: Nitro HS, 85′
• College: Marshall (1986-90)
PLAYING CAREER (OFFENSIVE LINEMAN)
• Marshall (1986-89)
• 1991-95: Marshall (Defensive Line/Tight Ends/Offensive Line)
• 1996: Georgia (Defensive Line)
• 1997-2000: Georgia (Offensive Line/Tight Ends)
• 2001-02: Troy (Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
• 2003-05: Tennessee (Tight Ends/Asst. Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
• 2006-08: Tennessee (Offensive Line)
• 2009-12: Syracuse (Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
• 2013-14: Buffalo Bills (Tight Ends)
• 2015-16: Oklahoma State (Offensive Line)
• 2017: Charlotte (Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator)
• 2018-20: Marshall (Offensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator)
• 2021-present: South Carolina (Offensive Line)