Feb. 6, 2005
Columbia, S.C. – The University of South Carolina women’s tennis knocked off Maryland on Sunday at the USC Indoor Tennis Faciity. The win improved Carolina to 3-0 while the Terrapins dropped to 0-4. Carolina’s 3-0 start is their best after three games since the 2002 season when they won their first four matches enroute to a 17-8 record overall.
The Gamecocks opened up the match by taking an early 1-0 lead by taking two of the three doubles matches. Miranda Gutierrez and Fallon Koon took the number three doubles by a score of 8-2 against Maryland’s Brooke Rogers and Veronika Subertova. USC would then clinch the match when Danielle Wiggins and Laura Ganzer defeated Tamar Huppes and Jennifer Dent, 8-5, at flight two. At number one singles, the 18th ranked duo of Marianne Baker and Ramona But came back from a 5-2 deficit to win 9-8 (4) against USC’s Christyn Lucas and Magda Wojdylo.
Carolina got off to a slow start by losing all four first sets of the first four single matches that were put on the court. The Gamecocks would rally back to take the second and third sets at one, two, three, and four singles. Magda Wojdylo dropped the first set 7-5 at number four before rallying to win 7-5,6-1 in the final two sets over Veronica Subertova. Sophomore Miranda Gutierrez then extended USC’s lead to 3-0 over the Terps after defeating Jennifer Dent by scores of 6-4, 6-4 in the final two stanza’s. Sophomore Laura Ganzer then clinched the match for the Gamecocks by winning the final three games in third set to take a 7-5 victory over Marianne Baker at flight two. Christyn Lucas would upset 40th ranked Ramona But to give USC a 5-0 lead.
The five and six singles match would be played as an eight game pro set and the Gamecocks took each of those singles matches to end the scoring at 7-0.
The Gamecocks will return to action on February 16th at 1:30 pm as they will host the College of Charleston Cougars.
South Carolina (3-0) 7
Maryland (0-4) 0
1. #18 Marianne Baker/Ramona But (M) d. Christyn Lucas/Magda Wojdylo (SC) 9-8 (4)
2. Laura Ganzer/Danielle Wiggins (SC) d. Tamar Huppes/Jennifer Dent (M) 8-5
3. Miranda Gutierrez/Fallon Koon (SC) d. Brooke Rogers/Veronika Subertova (M) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Christyn Lucas (SC) d. # 40 Ramona But (M) 4-6,7-6(6),6-3
2. Laura Ganzer (SC) d. Marianne Baker (M) 5-7,7-5,6-1
3. Miranda Gutierrez (SC) d. Jennifer Dent (M) 4-6,6-4,6-4
4. Magda Wojdylo (SC) d. Veronica Subertova (M) 3-6,6-1,7-5
5. Fallon Koon (SC) d. Neda Mihneva (M) 8-5*
6. Grace Blakely (SC) d. Tamar Huppes (M) 8-2*
Order of Finish: 4,3,2,1,5,6
*Coaches agreed on playing a one set eight game pro set to decide the match.